[Fwd: Re: [apps-discuss] JSON Patch: jsondiff and syntax]

perhaps worth joining this discussion over on apps-discuss

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [apps-discuss] JSON Patch: jsondiff and syntax
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 15:03:05 -0800
From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
To: Martin Algesten <martin@algesten.se>
CC: apps-discuss@ietf.org

FWIW, discussion of which format is best for a diff should really be based
on what is being compared (a file or an abstract memory structure?) and what
is expected to process the diff.

For example, JSOP has a diff format

   http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/Jsop#Draft_Implementations:_JSOP-Diff

that should be evaluated based on comparing JCR repository trees and an
understanding that the main processor is going to be a server-side patch
implementation.  Given that context, our JSON represents a state of the
JCR repository: the actual diff format does not need to be JSON because
it won't be processed by a browser (only generated by XHR).

I happen to agree that choosing any verbose diff format is a non-starter,
even if we assume compression, though I have a hard time evaluating a
JSON diff proposal without a more concrete notion of what it is intended
to do and why anyone would want to use it.

....Roy