From:   Sarven Capadisli <info@csarven.ca>
To:     public-ldpnext@w3.org
Date:   12/10/2015 02:50 PM
Subject:        Client's ability to set Link relations

Should the client get to "propose" Link relations in the HTTP Request,
e.g:

POST
Link: <http://www.w3.org/ns/ldp#Resource>; rel="type",
<http://example.org/foo>; rel="bar"

'<http://example.org/foo>; rel="bar' is what's proposed here.

The idea is that, if the server doesn't see a conflict, e.g., if a URI
should really be an ldp:Container instead of ldp:Resource, it might
override and correct client's request, then is there any particular
reason why the server shouldn't let the client set what it wants to set?

If someone can point to reference(s) which explains why something like
this MUST NOT be, I'd appreciate the insight.

I think this is sufficiently useful for the client to be able to set, if
not, at least pass it to the server for consideration, instead of having
it being stripped out. If the server is going to do whatever it wants to
do any way, then what's the point of allowing a subset of the Link
header trigger certain things, i.e., by letting the client convey a
specific behaviour, and then ignore everything else. I think given that
an agent has write privileges, it should be able to tell the server what
it wants to create or update such Link relation.

-Sarven
http://csarven.ca/#i