Do we need CORS for open data (was: Statistics on open data available for CORS consumption?)

Hi,

sorry to hijack Bill's thread at the very beginning, but I've been musing
with some ideas recently, and this question about CORS makes it timely that
I share them with you, I think.

We need CORS because AJAX queries inherit our cookies, and so may return
sensible data, with which we would not trust every piece of JS.

But we are talking here about open data, data that is available to every
server anyway, so protecting it in the browser is pointless.

So why don't we, webapp developers, have a way to tell the browser: "this
data I want to fetch is public, so you can get it **without** any of the
user's cookie, but please don't bother me with missing CORS headers" ? A
special kind of AJAX call that would be to XMLHttpRequest what Private Tabs
are to Regular Tabs ?

Actually, one could already emulate this kind of thing by sending the query
through a service such as http://corsproxy.com/, but this makes it
dependant on a third party service (although it is quite trivial to
implement on your own server if you need it).

What do you think? Am I missing a security hole that this kind of
functionality would create? Or could this become part of the standard Web
stack?

 best