Re: Practical issues arising from the "null relative URIs"-hack

One would also have to be very careful about creating the relative
URIs, because effectively only safe relative reference to use is ""
and "#anchors". It is unclear if a relative reference like "../other"
should be interpreted with the base URI according to the URI you POST
to (e.g. http://example.com/coll1 *) ) or the final resource that is
created (unknown: http://example.com/col1/item5,
http://example.com/col1/items/5, http://example.com/col1/items/5 or
even http://other.example.com/5 )

*) If the base URI is the resource you post to, then you have no way
in the posted document to refer to the not-yet-existing resource

Therefore any hint of using relative URI references would have to be
very specific about only using "" and "#anchors", and would easily
become quite fragile if clients do the 'wrong hack' and try to
preemptively guess the final URI in advance and relativize
accordingly.

In many ways it might be better to specifically recommend the details
of the hack - say require the use of a fresh  app:// base URI [
http://www.w3.org/TR/app-uri/ ]  that is also declared in the header:

POST http://example.com/coll1

<app://3dc5a45a-38cf-4f7b-abfa-44bb3f6b8d66/>
<http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#type>
<http://example.com/Example> .

Note, HTTP 1.1 says:

  The meaning of the Content-Location header in PUT or POST requests
is undefined; servers are free to ignore it in those cases.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes, myGrid team
School of Computer Science