Re: Fwd: Practical issues arising from the "null relative URIs"-hack

On 4/1/14 9:52 AM, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> On 04/01/2014 08:56 AM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> On 4/1/14 8:19 AM, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>>> Also, I think the risks are quite bounded, because this design is
>>> attached to the current three LDP containers.   That is, this
>>> decision only applies if you're dealing with one of three particular
>>> classes of resource (ldp:BasicContainer, ldp:DirectContainer, and
>>> ldp:IndirectContainer).  Personally, frankly, I expect 5 years from
>>> now all three of those containers will be considered obsolete.
>>> We're really just starting to figure out LDP, and my sense is
>>> several details of how those containers are defined will be
>>> problematic, once we have some more experience.   But for now,
>>> they're good enough to move forward a bit, and as we learn more we
>>> can define new and better ones.
>>
>> I struggle to understand why one would design with inevitable
>> obsolescence in mind. Seriously now, if this was the basis of AWWW
>> where would the Web be today?
>>

> Random example:    In the HTML spec, "No elements may be recursively
> nested."   [1]
>
> Fortunately, it wasn't too hard to fix that later.
>
> Surely you're not suggesting we wait until everyone is perfectly happy
> with every aspect of the design before we suggest people try using it.

Certainly not.

> When do you want LDP to ship?   By the charter we have two months
> left.  As far as I can tell, the working group has done the best job
> it could within the time it had.    It's not clear to me it could do
> better with more time -- I think what's actually needed is for people
> to try using it, and then we'll re-convene and improve what needs to
> improved.

As you know, we (at OpenLink) use/implement first and talk later. We've
had many iterations of this with many W3C specs. My concern is simply
about your comment about certain obsolescence of a spec for which
adoption is important. Of course, a spec will evolve, but I wouldn't
equate that to guaranteed obsolescence :-)

Kingsley

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen