Re: Fwd: Practical issues arising from the "null relative URIs"-hack

On 4/1/14 8:19 AM, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> Also, I think the risks are quite bounded, because this design is
> attached to the current three LDP containers.   That is, this decision
> only applies if you're dealing with one of three particular classes of
> resource (ldp:BasicContainer, ldp:DirectContainer, and
> ldp:IndirectContainer).  Personally, frankly, I expect 5 years from
> now all three of those containers will be considered obsolete.   We're
> really just starting to figure out LDP, and my sense is several
> details of how those containers are defined will be problematic, once
> we have some more experience.   But for now, they're good enough to
> move forward a bit, and as we learn more we can define new and better
> ones.

I struggle to understand why one would design with inevitable
obsolescence in mind. Seriously now, if this was the basis of AWWW where
would the Web be today?

One thing I do agree with though is simply this: any spec that boils
down to poorly derived compromises of AWWW is doomed for obsolescence,
and that will occur in less than 5 years.

If a spec isn't implemented by anyone, or a tiny minority, in the
context of the Web it is basically as good as obsolete, IMHO.

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO