Re: HEAD requests

On 10 September 2013 16:15, Steve Speicher <sspeiche@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Melvin,
>

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 9:34 AM, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Is it a requirement of LDP servers to support HEAD requests as well as
>> GET.  Is it implied that since you can do a GET, you will be able to do a
>> HEAD?
>>

> Yes, that is the case.  It is not implied really, it is explicitly stated
> in the spec that you need to support HEAD.  The motivation (recalling WG
> discussions) was that a number of scenarios were seen as valuable to be
> able to do various tests on the URL and also receive additional data (such
> as paging and type headers), instead of needing to fetch the entire
> resource (perhaps a container and all its members).  Also the effort to
> support HEAD in addition to GET is relatively small (just omit the entity
> body in the response).

Just looking at the spec, the last call and the current version seem to
have missing sections in the text:

[[
Note that certain LDP mechanisms, such as paging, rely on HTTP headers, and
HTTP generally requires that HEAD responses include the same headers as GET
]]

Just a FYI: I'm sure this is already a work being worked on ...