Re: A modest attempt to re-open ISSUE-20

On 3/18/13 7:19 PM, Mark Baker wrote:
> On 2013-03-15 4:56 AM, "Reto Bachmann-Gmür" <reto@apache.org> wrote:
>> I think this is an important point. A by the hypertext requirement of REST a REST client should need nothing more than an entry URI and a shared media type to be able to fully use a REST service. No spec reading should be needed except for understanding the media type. Now for Semantic REST service in my opinion the common media type is trivially given and the requirement should be the common ontology. So the specification of a Semantic REST service is nothing but specifying the ontology.
> Exactly. Anything else introduces an unnecessary, large degree of
> tight coupling between client and server as it completely nullifies
> the concept and value of the uniform interface. It's not REST, and
> IMO, it's not even the Web. It's a partially parallel, tiny Web, where
> existing HTTP/RDF clients can't meaningfully interoperate with LDP-BP
> servers, and new LDP-BP clients can't do the same with existing
> HTTP/RDF servers.
>
> Mark.

Amen!

In addition to the statement above, I also support the use of a media
type for Linked Data resources that addresses the subtle ambiguity that
still exists between RDF (a framework) and RDF based Linked Data (an
application of RDF for webby structured data representation and RESTful
interaction).

For the fully RDF committed, the comments above (from Reto) are plain
and obvious. For those that haven't really assimilated RDF and Linked
Data nuances, a media type for TimBL's RDF based Linked Data meme should
suffice e.g., application/ld+turtle (for turtle documents comprised of
RDF graph based content where URIs resolve to descriptions of their
referents) .

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen