Re: Proposal to close ISSUE-19: Adressing more error cases, as is

On 6/3/13 4:40 PM, Erik Wilde wrote:
> On Jun 3, 2013, at 13:30, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>> On 6/3/13 3:31 PM, Erik Wilde wrote:
>>> which would get to the touchy issue of media types. application/api-problem+json and application/api-problem+xml are the current media types, would an RDF model follow what pattern and expose application/api-problem+turtle?
>> No, since API problems ultimately boil down to entity relationships. The format is ultimately irrelevant.
> essentially, what you're saying is "since i want everything to look like RDF, everything is RDF." it's hard to argue with this kind of reasoning.

Here is my point the simplest terms re., RDF. You appear to have a world
view than requires a content-type per type of relationship between
entities that constitute a given system. Basically, you just won't
distinguish the model theory of RDF from content that expresses and
represents said theory.

The entity relationship semantics of an order processing system, bug
tracking system, accounting system or any other system aren't determined
by media types. The semantics (meaning) are all about entity types,
entity relationships types, and the roles entities play in said
relationships.  I can describe such a system on a piece of paper (e.g,
via UML notation and a pencil), a Web document (bearing representation
via content), or any other medium capable of capturing signs and
projecting signals.

Semantics and Media Types are two distinct things. Media Types don't
determine Semantics. Semantics don't determine Media Types.

Kingsley

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen