Re: Note on PROV-AQ about LDP

(Speaking as one of the coauthors of PROV-AQ)

I think our expectation was that the issue of identifying graphs within RDF
Datasets ("named graphs") would somehow be addressed by this WG as part of
forming best practices for RESTful access to Linked Data.

http://www.w3.org/TR/sparql11-http-rdf-update/#protocol-model touches on
the problem; a dataset might contain a graph identified by an IRI the
server is not authorative for.

Its solution of ?graph=<graphuri> is elegant, but of course only works for
compliant servers, typically graph stores with a sparql endpoint.

But if I retrieve an RDF Dataset from <http://example.com/dataset2> as say
TriG, and find it contains graph <http://example.org/graph2>, then unless I
have out of band information that <http://example.com/dataset2> implements
Sparql HTTP updates, I am not at liberty to just mint the URI <
http://example.com/dataset2?graph= http://example.org/graph2>, and so I am
not able to refer to the graph IRI in my Prov AQ link. (At best I can refer
to <http://example.com/dataset2 >)

Given the current LPD spec, I agree it would probably be out of scope
there, as it does not mention RDF datasets. It might still be within the
scope of the LPD WG to publish a Note that addresses the graph
identification problem beyond SPARQL graph stores.