Re: defining RDF and RESTful

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 16:51:59 -0400
To: Dave Reynolds <dave.e.reynolds@gmail.com>
Cc: public-ldp@w3.org
On Thu, 2012-03-29 at 21:35 +0100, Dave Reynolds wrote:
> On 29/03/12 21:25, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> >> That would be great!
> >
> > Okay, since that's seconded, I've added a references section.  I also
> > took out the explicit mention of GET and PUT.
>
> The phrasing in the introduction:
>
> [[[
> This approach has been proposed and explored for some time [1][2][3][4],
> but its use has only recently been reported in industry [5] [6].
> ]]]
>
> makes it sound like 1-4 have not been used in industry. In fact a number
> of commercial organizations are using the Linked Data API [4], including
> in media and financial sectors as well as for-profit organizations
> serving the public sector.

I did it that way because I was using the LDAPI as evidence that the
approach had been "explored" (and generally to mention it).  I didn't
think it was fair to claim that LDAPI demonstrated reading and writing
RDF through a RESTful API, since (as I recall), clients see JSON not
RDF.    But please correct me, if I've got that wrong.

On your specific point, I could s/its use/the practice of using RDF for
the payload format in a RESTful API/ to make it more precisely clear...

     -- Sandro