Re: is linked data about RDF or EAV or just structured data?

(apologies is this is said elsewhere - there is a lot of email :-)

On 08/08/12 03:07, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 8/7/12 4:25 PM, Reza B'Far (Oracle) wrote:
>>
>> So, my belief, at least, is that it would actually be more beneficial
>> to the entire effort and adoption of the spec if RDF/XML is made
>> optional because it will entice implementers to "back-into" full
>> implementation versus having to do waterfall-style full implementation
>> which may be impractical for smaller entities and/or projects that
>> need to show value to get traction.  So, the concern is rooted in at
>> least one practical perspective.  If we only have a handful of large
>> entities and niche players implement a standard, it's not a very
>> successful standard.
> I don't know how RDF has now come to mean: RDF/XML, circa 2012.
>
> RDF/XML isn't popular anywhere. Linked Data resources are less likely to
> be RDF/XML based, by the second. How has this data representation syntax
> somehow returned to distracting preeminence?

 > RDF/XML isn't popular anywhere.
+1

Turtle (and N-triples for dumps), RDFa, JSON-LD.  RDF/XML is an optional
extra.

Conneg sorts this out - this WG can provide guidance that Turtle (or NT)
is always available). (RDF/XML is expensive to produce; nice RDF/XML
even more so).

But it is not a full metamodel - that runs into the problem of separate
domains having the same metamodel but no interchange.  metamodels can be
too abstract.

Interchange is critical to this WG - it's not standards for closed
systems where shared understanding (developer skills etc) is the only
shared aspect.

There is "linked data" where all the links are in Link headers, or
entity-entity links.

	Andy