Re: Updated LD Patch specification

On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 9:32 AM, Steve Speicher <sspeiche@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 9:27 AM, Alexandre Bertails
> <alexandre@bertails.org> wrote:
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 25, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Steve Speicher <sspeiche@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Not sure I understand this point.  LDP-RS is a definition which
>>> matches mostly the terminology you have.  So not sure why to create
>>> something new, esp. if produced by the LDPWG.   I wasn't suggesting
>>> that LD Patch only applied to LDP-RS, I was suggesting that we are
>>> consistent in terminology.  It should help the reader.
>>
>> The LDP spec says that an LDP-RS is an LDPR, that is, a "resource
>> whose state is represented in any way that *conforms* to the simple
>> lifecycle patterns and conventions in section 4. Linked Data Platform
>> Resources." (emphasis mine)
>>
>> If we say "Linked Data resource, aka. LDP-RS" then all of a sudden,
>> aren't we saying that all Linked Data resources must conform to the
>> "simple lifecycle patterns and conventions in section 4. Linked Data
>> Platform Resources"? Wouldn't that make LD Patch artificially tied to
>> those "special" resources?
>>
>> I just want to make sure that this is the change you are asking for.
>> Please tell me if I misread something, either in the LDP spec, or in
>> your proposal.
>>
> No, I wasn't suggesting to raise the bar for those that want to
> leverage LD Patch.  I was just trying to align terminology, so RDF
> concepts defines: "RDF Graph" and "RDF Source".  In LDP we were
> careful to select "RDF Source".  Perhaps you really want to use graph,
> which could be fine.

"RDF Graph" and "RDF Source" would lack the connection with the target
URI. The one reference to "RDF Source" in LDP doesn't have this
problem in the context of its use: it is just a "see also" in the
LDP-RS definition.

I would agree that "Linked Data resource" may not be properly defined
in any spec. But I do not think this is a problem here. After all,
this terminology was introduced after a suggestion by Andy Seaborne in
[1].

Alexandre

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-ldp-wg/2014Aug/0064.html