Re: Recharter scope

During the teleconf there was a discussion about a twitter thread criticising the RESTfulness
of LDP. I think that it is the most important value that LDP bring to the table, when
compared to all the other RDF standards that exist. We should think of this group as tying
loose ends together.  Could someone please point us to that discussion? Note that I don't
think that RESTafarians have the final say  of what REST is, because they tend
to miss the semantic part of what it is that a Representation transfers: the state of
a Resource. So we should not allow us to be buillied by bad RESTafarian arguments into
abandoning the core value that REST represents for the LDP group.

> On 17 Nov 2014, at 21:24, Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> Per our discussion on today's call I invite everyone to help develop the list of questions that defines the scope of the new WG we would propose to charter. We could change the format if we want to but that's secondary. Here is the updated list based on today's discussion:
>
> 1.        How can retrieval of a container and its contained resources be combined so that fewer HTTP operations are required than it is necessary with LDP 1.0?

I think this needs to be formulated more clearly.

As I understand it the aim would be to pass some information about the contents of the ldp:contain-ed resources
in the LDPContainer. In some way Atom does this using the <content> and <summary> elements. What is desired
is that this be part of a GET operation ( and not part of a query )

=> 1. define a way to allow  a container to respond in GET requests with full or partial content of the contained
   resources.

 ( clearly this either requirs literals or quads )

> 2.        How can multiple resources be created with a single HTTP request?

Robert Sanderson wrote:
"+0.  This seems like going firmly against the current specification that the entity body is a single resource, even if it refers to other non-existing resources on the same server, either by absolute or relative URIs."

The really simple way to do this would be to POST a tar of a directory to an LDPContainer.
What the working group should consider immediately is: does this contradict our current containers?
Ideally POSTing a tar should create a LDPC with each of the tared files in the created LDPC.

> 3.        How can a client request filtering what part of a resource or container the server is to return?

Robert Sanderson wrote:
"+1.  And to keeping it separate from 1 and not using a query syntax"

That inevitably will end up being some form of query syntax, if we have something
general enough that it is worth specifying. What I think is desired is that there
be a very simple query syntax available, that anyone can implement, that has very
very low complexity properties, but that is extensible over time.  Most importantly
it has to be semantically explicit, so that a client can know what types of queries
he is asking as he jumps across servers by following links. ( That is property/value
queries such as those found in current html forms are not good enough ).

(btw, this is another reason for QUERY/SEARCH methods, as that builds in the variablitiy
of syntaxes )

> 4.        How can a client be notified when something, such as a resource or set of resources, changes?

Robert Sanderson wrote:
"+1. And to working with SocialWeb to see if ActivityStreams will solve or already solves the problem for us."

That requires polling. We should definitively see how a polling solution can help.
But sometimes active notifications are much more desireable.

> 5.        How can a client find out whether a service endpoint, such as a SPARQL endpoint, is associated with a resource or set of resources?
> 6.        How can access to a resource be controlled?
> 7.        How can a client have greater control of how paging is done (size, sorting, etc.)?"
> 8.        How can a client learn what property constraints there are when creating or updating a resource?"

+1 to all the above

> 9.        How can we do efficient transfer of LDP resources, either some initial set or rolling updates (feed) of changes?

One wonders wether a feed of PATCHes that would allow someone to reconstitute the changes would be useful.
This is what people are calling Event Sourcing

( just found this reference )
  http://ookami86.github.io/event-sourcing-in-practice/