Re: Recharter scope

Regrets for the next three weeks (Vacation, Meeting, Conference), so
comments on the items inline below:

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 12:24 PM, Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> 1.        How can retrieval of a container and its contained resources be
> combined so that fewer HTTP operations are required than it is necessary
> with LDP 1.0?

+1. Though I'm very nervous about making everything a query: there has been
a long and rich history of failed interoperable query syntax efforts and I
have little reason to believe that LDP is the group that can turn that
around (no offense intended).

> 2.        How can multiple resources be created with a single HTTP
> request?

+0.  This seems like going firmly against the current specification that
the entity body is a single resource, even if it refers to other
non-existing resources on the same server, either by absolute or relative
URIs.

> 3.        How can a client request filtering what part of a resource or
> container the server is to return?

+1.  And to keeping it separate from 1 and not using a query syntax

> 4.        How can a client be notified when something, such as a resource
> or set of resources, changes?

+1. And to working with SocialWeb to see if ActivityStreams will solve or
already solves the problem for us.

> 5.        How can a client find out whether a service endpoint, such as a
> SPARQL endpoint, is associated with a resource or set of resources?

+0 I don't understand the question or need.

Is it that you want to search the objects in a particular container, and
you need to know where the search service lives? Seems like a property of
the container. How else would you know where the endpoint is? If you a
priori know the end point, I'm not sure that a machine would ever discover
it and be able to follow a link to find the resource set and know that the
user is interested in that resource set and know how to use the endpoint.
So ... yeah, I don't understand this one :)

> 6.        How can access to a resource be controlled?

+1. This is Stanford's top priority in the list.

> 7.        How can a client have greater control of how paging is done
> (size, sorting, etc.)?

+0.  Not of interest, but doesn't seem harmful.

>  8.        How can a client learn what property constraints there are
> when creating or updating a resource?

+0 Not of interest, but doesn't seem harmful.

 9.        How can we do efficient transfer of LDP resources, either some
> initial set or rolling updates (feed) of changes?

-1 if this is "How can I get a dump of your database and then stay
perfectly synchronized with it on the order of 1 second latency" I'd like
to see two independent adopters of LDP that have this need other than
between internal systems, where an internal solution is likely to be the
best one.
Or +1 if it's just a property of a container that points to a .zip file of
the container's members (e.g. solution is trivial, move on)
Either way, I would drop this from the list of issues.

Hope that helps!

Rob

--
Rob Sanderson