Re: LDP WG Rechartering

> From: Ashok Malhotra <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>
> To: public-ldp-wg@w3.org
> Date: 10/29/2014 11:08 AM
> Subject: Re: LDP WG Rechartering
> On a different point, I was struck by the line "must provide paging-
> related hints"
> Clearly a hint is something that can be ignored.  So why the "must"?

(LDP Paging) clients must provide hints to maximize the chances of the
server responding in the most client-beneficial way on the first round
trip.  I.e. for overall System efficiency.

Kind of like US taxes: you're supposed to file a return every year even if
it merely shows that you owe no taxes.
Or if you prefer a more prosaic example: telling the barista which of the
umpteen variations of additives you prefer increases your odds of getting
a coffee/tea that you actually enjoy, and (all other things being equal)
increases the happiness of the overall System.
In all 3 cases, the server/recipient cannot force the requestor to supply
the hint(s), and as a result the server has to handle its absence somehow.
 But the System owners can apply different labels to requestors that
provide hints, and therefore work in the common interest in addition to
their own, even if that boils down to a social mechanism for encouraging
System-good behavior.

Best Regards, John

Voice US 845-435-9470  BluePages
z/VM OpenStack Enablement and KVM