Re: again with TurtlePatch

On 27/07/14 18:06, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> On 07/27/2014 12:33 PM, Sandro Hawke wrote:

>>> but it is then not SPARQL Update semantics.  You would need DELETE
>>> WHERE.
>>>

>> Rats, I guess that's why I left it out earlier.   Thanks for the catch.
>>
>> I suppose we could add a WHERE clause that's restricted to containing
>> exactly the triples in the DELETE DATA clause which contain
>> variables.   I think that would do the right thing in SPARQL, and a
>> non-SPARQL processor could ignore it and treat variables as wildcards.
>>
>> So, that would make patches a little longer, and it would make the
>> syntax of the DELETE DATA clause be Turtle + ?variables, not just Turtle.
>>

> Double ARG -- I replied too quickly.   You were saying, I think, that I
> just need to use DELETE WHERE instead of DELETE DATA, not that I need a
> whole duplicate WHERE clause.

Yes, but

DELETE WHERE { x:me x:name ?var }

which is shorthand for

DELETE { x:me x:name ?var } WHERE { x:me x:name ?var }

No blank nodes allowed (because it's not a shorthand).

The cost of an update is in danger of being being opened up though.

(I'm not following closely enough but from what I can tell there are
variations on the design requirements in the active threads, or at least
different emphasises at different times.)

	Andy