Re: Final edits made to Best Practices Practices and Guidelines - what's next?

On 7/21/14 2:47 PM, Cody Burleson wrote:
> Hi, Arnaud (and Nanadana, as my backup),
>
> I have committed a pure HTML version, First Public Working Draft of
> the Linked Data Platform Best Practices and Guidlines.
>
> In Mercurial:
> ldpwg/TR/WD-ldp-bp-20140730/ldp-bp.html.
>
> Web URL of the same:
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/ldpwg/raw-file/default/TR/WD-ldp-bp-20140730/ldp-bp.html
>
> I have dated the guide for publication on 7/30/2014 (Wednesday of next
> week) to give a little elbow-room for processing.
>
> Could you please help us by requesting authorization, Arnaud? Or
> whatever is the next step?
>
> I will be on vacation next week, so Nandana may have to assist wit
> step 3 if we do not get to that until next week.
>
> - Cody
Cody,

[[
2.1 Predicate URIs should be HTTP URLs

URIs are used to uniquely identify resources and URLs are used to locate
resources on the Web. That is to say that a URL is expected to resolve
to an actual resource, which can be retrieved from the host. A URI, on
the other hand, may also be a URL, but it does not have to be; it may
refer to something that has no retrievable representation.
]]

If what's claimed above is true, then to what does the HTTP URL resolve?
Basically, what kind of Resource does this URL denote?

Put differently, the heading and the paragraphs that follow leads to
conventional confusion.

[[
2.1 Predicate URIs should be HTTP URLs

URIs are used to uniquely identify resources and URLs are used to locate
resources on the Web. That is to say that a URL is expected to resolve
to an actual resource, which can be retrieved from the host. A URI, on
the other hand, may also be a URL, but it does not have to be; it may
refer to something that has no retrievable representation.

One of the fundamental ideas behind Linked Data is that the things
referred to by HTTP URIs can actually be looked up ("dereferenced").
This important principle was originally outlined by Tim Berners-Lee as
rule #2 of "the four rules" for linking data [LD-DI]. It is therefore
ideal that predicate URIs identify resources with representations that
are retrievable. LDP servers should at least provide [RDF-SCHEMA]
representations of these predicates where possible.

Of course, it is also a common practice to reuse properties from open
vocabularies that are publicly available. In this case, implementers
have no control over the result when attempting to dereference the URI.
For this reason, publishers who wish to make their vocabularies useful
for linking data should strive to provide a retrievable representation
of the properties their vocabularies define. Consequently, implementers
are also expected to use this practice as a benchmark for which to judge
the efficacy of a vocabulary's use for linking data.
]]

Suggested Fix (a heading change) :

[[

2.1 Denote (or Refer To) Predicates using HTTP URIs

[...]

Comments:

A predicate and a document are disjoint entity types. A predicate in an
RDF triple denotes a relationship property that has the role of
determining the nature of the relationship (formally a relation) in
question.

Every RDF statement represents a relationship. Every RDF statement
predicate determines the nature of the relationship. The existence and
functionality role of a predicate (or relationship property i.e.,
rdf:Property) is the foundation upon which RDF (like natural language)
is based. A triple based statement can only have meaning if it has a
predicate through which meaning (connotation) discerned.

[1]
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/html/http/www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#
-- description of RDF in RDF

[2]
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/describe/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F1999%2F02%2F22-rdf-syntax-ns&graph=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F1999%2F02%2F22-rdf-syntax-ns
-- alternative view of RDF described in RDF .

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com