Re: rel=type or rel=profile, issue 92

On 1/17/14 4:44 PM, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
> John already reported that he checked with Erik Wilde on the proposed
> use of rel=profile for the purpose at hand and that Erik said it was
> fine. Why can't we accept the opinion of the very author of the
> relevant RFC rather than try to second guess what the text was meant
> to allow or not?
> Sorry but we just don't have time for this type of debate anymore.
> THAT is not constructive.
> --
> Arnaud  Le Hors - Software Standards Architect - IBM Software Group
In as much as I see a way forward (on a compromise basis) with
rel=profile, I can't really defend dismissing Henry's concerns (which
are genuine; if you follow through with RDF reasoning) by referring to
an RFC that states:

[[
    This specification defines the 'profile' link relation type that
    allows resource representations to indicate that they are following
    one or more profiles.
]]

[[
    A profile is defined not to alter the
    semantics of the resource representation itself, but to allow clients
    to learn about additional semantics (constraints, conventions,
    extensions) that are associated with the resource representation, in
    addition to those defined by the media type and possibly other
    mechanisms.
]]

All I can glean from the above is *conventions* as a generic term that
has "interaction" somewhere in its vast realm of interpretation.

Henry has a genuine concern. That said, I don't find his concern an LDP
showstopper at this juncture.

I believe these puzzle pieces can ultimately be put back together via
related efforts such as Hydra [1][2].

[1] http://www.markus-lanthaler.com/hydra/
[2] http://www.markus-lanthaler.com/hydra/spec/latest/core/.

Kingsley Idehen