Re: To spec editors - regarding possibly redundant rdf:type definition of containers in examples

Hi all,

On Feb 10, 2014, at 16:14, Cody Burleson <cody.burleson@base22.com> wrote:

> Right!
>
> So, that's 3 additional triples for each container.

For what it is worth, this seems to me to be a simple question of where resources go.  In our experience it often makes sense to materialize useful triples (paying the cost of storage and indexing) instead of inferencing at runtime (thereby avoiding the cost of time and computation).

What exactly is the argument to the contrary in this particular case?

I propose that we should be viewing this as a simple engineering trade-off.  Inferencing is (IMO) best used in systems when the information is not often sought, e.g. when it is useful to a relatively small population, or when it is impossible to judge in advance which information someone might need.  Materialization is best used when the information is expected to accessed regularly during runtime.

Regards,
Dave
--
http://about.me/david_wood