Re: Paging edge case

Ashok --

On Apr 17, 2014, at 05:55 PM, Ashok Malhotra <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com> wrote:

> As I understand the design we agreed upon the prev/next links
> identify the member that starts the previous or next page.
> What if that member gets deleted?  I think there is an obvious
> solution but we need to cover the case

The edge case with which you're concerned is covered.

By Sandro's proposal, which we adopted, the prev/next links are
based on the content of the *current* page.  They tell the server
to show you the content that precedes or follows what you're
currently seeing -- which works even if that current page is
empty, due to the criteria used to assemble its content (e.g.,
Sandro's alphabet-based contact listing pages), *and* if the
first/last record seen on the current page is deleted before
you request the preceding/following page.

In other words, the links are not based on the start of the
link is based on the *start* of the *current* page.  The next-
page link is based on the *end* of the current page.

If I'm looking at every name starting with "K", then the next
and pref links tell the server "give me what follows 'K'" (i.e.,
"L") and "give me what precedes 'K'" (i,e., "J"), respectively.

If my requested resource contains 100 triples, and the server
delivers 10 triples per page 10, and I scroll forward to the
third page, which  (due to deletes while I was looking at the
first 2 pages) starts with #33 and ends with #45, the prev and
next links will tell the server to deliver "the page with
content preceding #33" and "the page with content following
#45" respectively.

One more phrasing --

The prev/next links tell the server "this is my current page.
give me the page that precedes/follows it."  These links have
no direct reference to the content of those preceding/following
pages, *only* to the description/content of the current page.

Regards,

Ted