Re: LDP test suite

Hi Steve,

(CCing the WG mailing list)

On 16/04/14 20:34, Steve Speicher wrote:
> Catching you up on the discussion we just had (might be easier than trying
> to follow IRC logs)

Thanks, I appreciate the summary, I'm reading the minutes. Timezone does
not help to remotely participate in these meetings.

> Basic points/plan is:
>
> - Code goes here: https://github.com/w3c/ldp-testsuite

Fine for me.

> - RDFa test case definitions are seen as too much overhead compared with
> the value (concerned that you could do in a timely fashion and accurately
> versus just writing in things like REST-assured)

Important pivot... The question is, how are going to be defined the test
cases now?

Well, anyway I track the decision
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MARMOTTA-438?focusedCommentId=13972349&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13972349

> - Need a owner/moderator for github contributions, you up for this?

I can take such role, no problem.

> - Take some initial contributions: yours? mine? both?  Your call I suppose
> if you take ownership.  Won't hurt my feelings if my contributions aren't
> completely used, think there is some useful stuff in what we've done.

Well, both could be valid starting points. Personally I do not care so
much about ownership, as soon as the implementation keep open according
the ASF restrictions.

About the testing framework, personally I never used TestNG. For me was
easier to generate the test cases on the fly based on the RDFa
descriptions with JUnit4, but I'm open to learn if it brings some good
reasons.

The main two requirements are two in parallel:

1) Be able to run the test suite against an arbitrary server (executable
jar)

2) Be able to extend to automatically running in other compatible
environments with REST-assured (maven dependency)

For the second one Sesame follows a good approach:

https://bitbucket.org/openrdf/sesame/src/344c7976bba504905614d38097df3454a2721e99/testsuites/?at=master

Although technologically a bit obsolete (JUNit3), it's very
straightforward to use it as API. See for example:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=marmotta.git;a=blob;f=libraries/kiwi/kiwi-triplestore/src/test/java/org/apache/marmotta/kiwi/test/sesame/repository/KiWiRepositoryConnectionTest.java;h=0ee4d6376ad870558fbff14b5bdc38d3864d22b5;hb=HEAD

Although REST-assured is a bit different, it uses static initialization,
Then you do not need to create, but initialize. But the principle
remains the same. I'd like to see how this would work with TestNG. What
do you think?

I already started to work on the basic infrastructure. Now comes
Eastern, but by beginning of the week I can make the commitment of
creating the basic structure of the test suite, where we can start to
contribute actual tests. I'll push it to GitHub as soon as Sandro grant
me rights there.

Cheers,

--
Sergio Fernández