Re: Stable locking

On 07/04/14 16:29, Ashok Malhotra wrote:
> Some of our developers have also been struggling with the paging issue.
> In the discussion one potential solution has emerged which may be worth
> considering.
>
> When a client accesses a collection and starts to page thru it, the
> server makes a copy
> of the collection (snapshot).  It then serves that client from that
> snapshot.  The snapshot
> is deleted when the clients commits or aborts.

One approach might be to return a URL that represents the target at the
point in time.  Further requests on this URL are paging on the state at
that point in time.  Whether the URL is fundamentally different or just
"?version=" is implementation foo.

In some systems, this is almost free because they work with versioned
data structures internally.  MVCC being an extreme case but also
serializable transaction isolation.

 Andy