Re: PUT to create, was Re: Proposal: normative changes for profiles

On 25 Sep 2013, at 14:25, John Arwe <johnarwe@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> > I was trying to explain this to someone recently and it seemed to us
> > there's a big whole in this design.  How is a client supposed to
> > know where it can PUT things?
>
> Valid question.  Applies to PATCH-as-create too, I suspect.  I hedge only because I remember that 5789 does say PATCH can be used to create new resources, but I don't remember if it suggests a PUT-like, POST-like, or no (silent on) interaction model.
>
> > And if it does PUT things there, do
> > they end up linked from anywhere?    What seems right to me, taking
> > a stab in the dark, is that at LDPC can have some associated URL
> > space, and if you do a PUT-to-create in that space, it's pretty much
> > the same as POSTing to the LDPC.     So the new PUT URL ends up as a
> > resource in the LDPC as well.

yes, that's an addition reaon for one of the proposals I put forward for an iContainer.
http://www.w3.org/2012/ldp/track/issues/50

This was closed in a hurry in Spain this summer. I don't think it was a very considerate closing

> As long as the URL you selected is not already in use, that's the fuzzy model I've had in my head.  Given that I don't know of anyone on my end planning to implement create-via-PUT, I have not thought it through deeply myself.
>
> IMO the important distinction is the "create" semantic, not the HTTP method used.  I would expect the same consequences on membership triples as the result of any create, irrespective of the HTTP method employed on the request.
>
> > I imagine an LDPC could advertise
> > this functionality with a triple or like: { <> ldp:memberCreationURLPrefix
> > "http://example.org/container75_" }.
>
> > Alternatively, we might
> > just agree the URL prefix is the LDPC URL (plus a slash).
> > Then we
> > just need a flag like { <> a ldp:Puttable }.

I think the simpler solution is the most intuitve one. Just allow us to define a subclass of containers that behave
the way people expect.