Re: Affordances wiki page

On 3/4/13 7:32 AM, Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:
> Kingsley,
>
> agreed, linked data is about using dereferenceable URIs everywehere,
> so that everyone can discover the meaning of a URI they do not know.
>
> This is only one kind of affordance, though, and a client *has* to
> start with some built-in knowledge for a set of URIs (just like
> someone can not learn a new language by relying on a dictionnary, as
> every word is described by other words).
>
> My argument was that other kinds of affordance as possible as well,
> provided that you know how to interpret a given (set of) triple(s) --
> not only by dereferencing every URI "blindly".

Yes, but there's an important difference between RDF and Linked Data
eternally overlooked, they aren't the same thing. RDF enables one create
very powerful Linked Data via the fusion of machine-comprehensible
semantics and Web-scale data access that baked into structured data
representation.

As for understanding what one de-references, when dealing with RDF based
Linked Data, the data consumer (human or machine) must understand RDF
based entity relationship semantics. There's no way around that, hence
the important role played by schemas/vocabularies/ontologies.

Web-scale first-order logic (comprehensible by humans and machines) is
the implicit affordance delivered by RDF based Linked Data, RESTfully :-)

Kingsley