Re: PROPOSAL for ISSUE-66, a way to detect the ldp:Container has updated during pagination

hello all.

On 2013-06-19 1:33 , "Steve Speicher" <sspeiche@gmail.com> wrote:
>Discussion yesterday on this issue led an action for me to propose a way
>for a client to detect if the LDPC has changed while a client is flipping
>through the pages.
>The proposed solution is for a LDP Server to include in each page a
>non-member-property that indicates when the LDPC was last changed.  The
>typical piece of data would be the entity tag of the LDPC.
>PROPOSAL: Close ISSUE-66, saying to help clients detect when the LDPC
>they are paging has changed, servers MAY include <ldpc-uri, ldp:etag,
>etag>.

this looks like an unfortunate way of designing the protocol. ETags are a
part of the web's uniform interface in HTTP, and should be exposed in the
way defined by that interface: in the ETag HTTP header. if you hide that
information somewhere else, standard HTTP interactions can not take
advantage of it, and the main reason why it is exposed in the interface is
that it can be used in HTTP interactions. the golden rule of REST on the
web: if you are exposing interaction semantics, and the uniform interface
has a way of exposing them, then expose them through the uniform
interface. this way, everybody (*including intermediaries*, who have no
idea who's talking to whom) can use it.