Re: document/thing separation in Primer

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 19:47:55 -0400
To: public-ldp-wg@w3.org
On 6/17/13 7:33 PM, Roger Menday wrote:

> hi
>
> We (Nandana and myself) have been progressing on the Primer ... Of
> course, the main motivation is to reach as many people as possible
> with a simple introduction to LDP which will encourage it's use and
> uptake! In order to make further progress, there are some important
> topics which have an impact, and we hope will get a little bit of
> airtime at the F2F.
>
> An important topic is the separation between document and thing. We
> understand that this should be explained carefully, in a way which
> keeps the attention of new people (perhaps people without a LD/semweb
> background). We need to find a balance here. One proposal would be to
> conflate document and thing for the first part of the Primer, and then
> introduce the separation later on.
>
> Thoughts ?
>
> Roger
> Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe

What about the fact that everything needs to be named unambiguously?
Then emphasize that Documents are things too, just like people and other
things.

This issue only gets confusing when "Resource" fronts the conversation
e.g., the notion that "everything is a resource" and then in another
context folks speak of URLs denoting resources etc..

Everyone understand why unambiguous names are important in real life, so
why should the Web change that? :-)

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen