Re: Discovery/Affordances

"Wilde, Erik" <Erik.Wilde@emc.com> wrote on 06/14/2013 08:03:28 AM:

> it just seems this whole conformance section starts from a strange
> foundation. it's like saying "to be a web site server you MUST serve
> text/html". it would be looking at everything backwards, instead of just
> saying "serving HTML representations is what constitutes a web site
> server; if something out there in the universe doesn't provide HTML
> representations, the question of whether it is a web site server makes
no
> sense".
>
> so i think i agree with some other that i find the whole line of
thinking
> in that section a bit out of line with how things work when you look at
> them from the web angle. you can "validate" HTML without a web server
> being around, just be looking at HTML from the file system. that may be
> different for LDP because it may have more to say about HTTP headers,
but
> then it's still all about what kind of behavior you expect to see in the
> uniform interface, when you as a client follow a link and expect to
start
> interacting according to LDP.
>
> cheers,
>
> dret.

Ok, help me understand where a requirement such as that a server must
support turtle come into play in assessing conformance then?

When we've talked about validation and test suite we've actually talked
about more than a stand alone validator that would simply parse an LDP
file. We've talked about an agent that would interact with an LDP server.
Was that line of thinking completely off?

Regards.