Re: An IRC discussion with Alexandre Bertails re SSUE-19:

On 6/6/13 2:14 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 6/6/13 1:56 PM, Alexandre Bertails wrote:
>> I have to say that I don't understand that part. How do you fix the
>> interpretation of ldp:Container to be its definition in the document
>> that you dereference at http://www.w3.org/ns/ldp? Isn't it introducing
>> something that is not defined in RDF? I thought that RDF was not
>> relying on HTTP on purpose.
>
> RDF is scoped to IRIs (which may or may not be HTTP scheme URIs)
>
> RDF based Linked Data is scoped to HTTP URIs.
>
> Hopefully, QED.

A little clearer:

1.  RDF is scoped to IRIs (which may or may not be HTTP scheme URIs) --
its sole function (re. Model Theory aspect) is structured data
representation where the semantics of Relations are explicit rather than
implicit

2. Linked Data -- its prime goal is using HTTP URIs to denote Relations
that resolve to the meaning/sense of said Relations (so you end up with
a graph comprised of Relations that describes the HTTP URI's referent)

3. RDF based Linked Data -- combing both such that HTTP URIs resolve to
descriptions of URI Referents which is a wordy way of saying the HTTP
URIs resolve to an entity relationship graph endowed with *explicit*
entity relationship semantics that are human- and machine-comprehensible.

Thus:

1.
http://linkeddata.uriburner.com/about/html/http/www.w3.org/ns/ldp%01Container
-- an HTML document that describes ldp:Container via an entity
relationship graph based description

2. see footer section of the page above for alternative representations
of the same entity relationship graph based description.

Hopefully, QED :-)

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software