Re: ISSUE-37 WAS:Proposal for containers

On 31 Jan 2013, at 22:05, Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Steve Battle <steve.battle@sysemia.co.uk> wrote on 01/31/2013 12:10:06 PM:
>
> > From: Steve Battle <steve.battle@sysemia.co.uk>
> > To: Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS, "public-ldp-wg@w3.org"
> > <public-ldp-wg@w3.org>,
> > Date: 01/31/2013 12:11 PM
> > Subject: Re: ISSUE-37 WAS:Proposal for containers
> >
> > On 31 Jan 2013, at 19:54, Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> >
> > One argument against introducing ldp:contains or any such new
> > predicate is that we want to encourage reuse and this doesn't.
> > I'm not really sure this is independent of ISSUE-37. As the draft
> > stands it only supports composition and if that's all we end up with
> > there won't be any confusion about what rdfs:member is about, will there?
> >
> > My understanding is that the spec being silent on aggregation only
> > means that it places no constraints on the way that users are able
> > to create their own RDF aggregations.
>
> Indeed.
>
> > Therefore, there is every chance that the existing composition model
> > can be confused with user aggregation unless it introduces its own
> > vocabulary as proposed.
>
> Since one can choose to use different predicates to indicate membership in a container people can't - and shouldn't! - rely on the predicate being used to figure out whether they are dealing with an LDPC or not. They need to look at whether the resource is of class ldp:Container.

I agree with you if the issue is that of determining the resource type. However, this proposal addresses a different concern, i.e. that if predicates like rdfs:member are used for composition then this makes it difficult to distinguish between a resource POSTed to the container (see Ashok's proposal item B.), and a resource linked to the container using rdfs:member (see Ashok's proposal item F.).

I would like to propose this a way to ensure that composition and aggregation remain orthogonal.