Re: Proposal for containers - LDP is not part of the web ???

On 1/31/13 1:43 PM, Wilde, Erik wrote:
> On 2013-01-31 19:33 , "Henry Story" <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>> On 31 Jan 2013, at 15:47, "Wilde, Erik" <Erik.Wilde@emc.com> wrote:
>>> that works on the semantic web (where you expose things via RDF), but not
>>> on the web (where you have to live with HTTP's uniform interface).
>> The semantic web is not part of the web?
>> And LDP is perhaps not part of the web either? As far as I know
>> LDP uses HTTP, and all the big Linked Data projects use HTTP. Some
>> even use HTTPs.
> the semantic web is layered on top of the web's fabric, adding new layers
> of technologies and constraints.

No it is not.

It's the same Web that we all use today. We just have resources
(accessible via HTTP URIs) that bear content in the form of entity
relationship graphs endowed with *explicit* human and machine
comprehensible entity relationship semantics. It just about hooking
first-order logic into the existing architecture of the Web.

The Web is _perfectly imperfect_ due to its dexterous architecture.
That's what makes it tick.

>   the famous semantic web layer cake shows
> that very nicely.

Ah! You took that literally. Think of it as jigsaw puzzle pieces and
then look down at it from above. The layer cake needs a 3-D printer [1] :-)

Links:

1. http://youtu.be/8aghzpO_UZE
2. http://www.w3.org/2005/Talks/1110-iswc-tbl/Overview.html -- Putting
the Web back in Semantic Web .