Re: Proposal for containers - Feeds and Entries

On 1/31/13 12:22 PM, Wilde, Erik wrote:
> RDF can
> do that in the same way as XML or JSON can do that: you specify
> constraints (formally or in prose), implementations need to check for them
> (is such a triple in there), and you're done.
Is there anyway that we can convince you that RDF != XML or JSON?

RDF is a framework comprised of:

1. Data Model -- describes entities, entity roles, and entity
relationship semantics
2. Syntax -- subject->predicate->object
3. Notations -- Turtle, RDF/XML etc..
4. Serialization Formats -- Turtle, RDF/XML etc..

A long time ago the W3C made the mistake of pushing RDF/XML in a manner
that completely obscured (by conflation) items 1-4 above, in the worst
possible ways. That was in the past, folks have learned from those
mistakes and moved on. Can't you do the same by not treating RDF, XML,
and JSON as though they are the same thing.

Turtle != RDF/XML . Thus, triples (propositions) are easy to express,
understand, and share.

## Start ##

<> a <#Document> .
<> <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/topic> <#Topic1> .
<#Topic1> <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#label> "Re: Proposal for
containers - Feeds and Entries" .

# Cross Reference #

<#Document> owl:equivalentClass <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Document> .

## End ##

All I've done is used a particular notation (Turtle) to express
propositions that are ultimately grounded in first-order logic. I can
dump those propositions into a document at an Address using HTTP
operations.

Anyway, a growing number of us are just cracking on with our
implementations of LDP that's based on an Ontology, RDF, and Linked Data
-- we'll simply use our implementations to make our points re. RDF model
dexterity. Basically, our implementations will be compatible with any
incarnation of LDP (Profile | Platform | Pedantry) .

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com