creating collections

hello ashok.

On 2013-01-29 2:21 , "Ashok Malhotra" <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com> wrote:
>1. We need to be able to create and delete collections.
>Steve S indicates that there is agreement that the client should be able
>to create collections.  This is good,
>but we have not agreed on a mechanism to create collections although
>there has been a good deal of mail on the subject.  Perhaps we need to
>open an issue:  How are Collections Created?

maybe an issue would be useful, so that we can focus and track
discussions. following a standard REST pattern, you'd take a
representation of a collection (containing only the info you need to
create a collection, so it would be more of a proto-collection
representation than an actual collection), and you'd POST it to a resource
that will become the managing resource for that collection. in AtomPub,
that would be the workspace. in LDP, if we allow nested collections, that
might be a collection. if we have some anchor concept other than a "root
collection", then that anchor resource would accept POSTing of collections
as well. as a response to a successful creation request, the collection
pops into existence on the server, and the server responds with a 201 and
a location header that links to the new collection resource.