Re: ISSUE-36: Summary of ways of making containers

From: Pierre-Antoine Champin <pierre-antoine.champin@liris.cnrs.fr>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 19:54:23 +0100
To: "Eric Prud'hommeaux" <eric@w3.org>
Cc: "Wilde, Erik" <Erik.Wilde@emc.com>, Alexandre Bertails <bertails@w3.org>, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>, Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@us.ibm.com>, "public-ldp-wg@w3.org" <public-ldp-wg@w3.org>
Eric,

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org> wrote:

> * Wilde, Erik <Erik.Wilde@emc.com> [2013-01-25 10:29-0500]

(...)

> > some media types (such as atompub, see
> > http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5023#section-12.1) have felt the need (for
> > protocol reasons) to make resource "kinds" identifiable in the media
> type,
> > but then the preferred route is to use media type parameters instead of
> > minting individual media types.
>
> interesting point. the Turtle media type currently has only a charset
> optional parameter. it could also have, e.g. (flame bait follows):
>
>   primaryType  this parameter identifies the intended purpose of the
>   graph encoded in a Turtle document. This could be, for instance, a
>   product description or a purchase order.
>
> this would invite also a primaryNode.
>
> some folks here might find that a practical way to route messages to
> the appropriate handler. the RDF WG, which pretty much owns the media
> type, may well burn me as a heretic for even proposing this.

At the risk of joining you on the stake, I find this interesting as well.
However, I thing Erik's proposal in another thread, to use the notion of
profile [1], sounds like a more general approach to me: the client may not
only expect the primaryNode to be of the primaryType. It will also expect
that the primaryNode will have a number of "mandatory" properties. This
kind of constraint may be captured by the notion of profile.

  pa

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wilde-profile-link-04#section-3.1