Re: LDPRs, LDPCs and the mysterious X

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>wrote:

> What can we call _:X ? My thought was that it is that
> which is contained but which does not contain. In the
> file system, we tend to call these "files".

I think file system is a nice analogy. If you read the following text about
UNIX file system taken from [1], replaying "UNIX" with LDP, "directory"
with LDPC and "file" with LDPR, IMO it still make sense.

[[
"On a UNIX system, everything is a file;"
This statement is true because there are special files that are more than
just files (named pipes and sockets, for instance), but to keep things
simple, saying that everything is a file is an acceptable generalization. A
Linux system, just like UNIX, makes no difference between a file and a
directory, since a directory is just a file containing names of other files.

3.1.1.2. Sorts of files
Most files are just files, called regular files; they contain normal data,
for example text files, executable files or programs, input for or output
from a program and so on. While it is reasonably safe to suppose that
everything you encounter on a Linux system is a file, there are some
exceptions.

Directories: files that are lists of other files.
]]

So in that venn diagram there are can be other special sets that we can
identify like aggregations, or some other things. But anything that we
don't have to specially identify, I think people normally call them by the
name of the general set.

Best Regards,
Nandana

[1] - http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/sect_03_01.html

P.S. - In the link LDP stands for Linux Documentation Project not Linked
Data Platform :)