Re: ISSUE-36: Summary of ways of making containers

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 5:42 PM, Alexandre Bertails <bertails@w3.org> wrote:

>  Just a question: Is it only during the creation time
>> when the POSTed content contains
>>
>>     <> a ldp:Container .
>>
>> that that action creates a Container?
>>
>> Or can one later append that triple to any resource to
>> turn  it into a container?
>>

> I was expecting something like that to come up... And that's a
> legitimate question. I would say that POSTing this triple to a
> non-LDPC should not create a new container. But then, it brings other
> questions, like, what does it mean when a client dereference the LDPR
> and see this triple?

I also think it should not. However, LDP applications can / may decide
whether this conversion is allowed or not based on their own application
restrictions. But what is important is that server should ensure it is in
a consistent state. So if a server allows this triple to be added, the
server should consider that the LDPR is converted to a LDPC and it should
behave as an ldp:Container for that point on wards. Alternatively, if a
server decides that clients can not convert an LDPR to an LDPC once is
created, it should discard the '<> a ldp:Container' triple in any of the
updates (servers would normally do the same for system managed properties
like created time,  etc) or as in the current spec for some specific
protocol data
[[
5.5.2 LDPC servers may allow updating LDPC non-membership properties using
HTTP PUT on <containerURL>?non-member-properties, which may exclude
server-managed properties such as ldp:membershipSubject and
ldp:membershipPredicate.
]]

Best Regards,
Nandana