Re: MKCOL for making collections

On 1/23/13 3:25 AM, Wilde, Erik wrote:
> hello ashok.
>
> On 2013-01-22 23:12 , "Ashok Malhotra" <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com> wrote:
>> On 1/22/2013 1:52 PM, Alexandre Bertails wrote:
>>> If I know that X is an LDPC, and that the LDP spec tells me how to
>>> create a sub-LDPC from there directly, then I don't need anything
>>> else, do I?
>>> It looks like the home document notion is overkill to me and much more
>>> general.
>> The question is how do you start?  Where do you get the URI for the first
>> LDPC?
> exactly. if a client wants to start interacting with a LDP service it
> hasn't used before, and where it has no bookmarks, where should it start?
> it would be good to have a resource that provides easy access to all of
> the services of that LDP server.
>
> thanks and cheers,
>
> dret.

An LDP server or service provider is an entity that can be denoted using
a de-referencable URI. You can use RDF, HTTP metadata (e.g. "Link:") and
<link/> in (X)HTML to relay all the information that a user agent would
need to RESTFully deduce what's possible at what addresses.

REST (as a client-server pattern) isn't complex. Its quite simple, in
reality.

RDF's entity relationship semantics travel well, so you can leverage
them via "Link:" , <link/>, and actual document content. No WSDL
required, no programmers guide required, HTTP combined with RDF is all
you need.

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software