Re: Issue-37: Ontological Modelling

On 22 Jan 2013, at 17:59, "Wilde, Erik" <Erik.Wilde@emc.com> wrote:

> hello henry.
>
> On 2013-01-22 17:39 , "Henry Story" <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>> yes, you are speaking about Atom Entries, but this is not what we are
>> doing,
>> here.
>
> i am speaking about an established model of how to handle collections and
> entries, which seems to be simpler than what we're doing, and i am
> wondering what we're getting for the additional complexity.

But in a previous e-mail you just admitted that there was no well
established way to create collections in Atom!

>> Atom it seems to me is just an attempt to XMLify HTTP. Consider what your
>> Atom entry is as simply: metadata about some content.
>> <entry>
>>      <title>Atom-Powered Robots Run Amok</title>
>>      <link href="http://example.org/2003/12/13/atom03"/>
>>      <id>urn:uuid:1225c695-cfb8-4ebb-aaaa-80da344efa6a</id>
>>      <updated>2003-12-13T18:30:02Z</updated>
>>      <summary>Some text.</summary>
>> </entry>
>> Well why bother with all that?
>> In HTTP we have it already: it's called headers and content,
>> and the rest you can do  through hyperlinking.
>> POST /2013/01/22/ HTTP/1.1
>> Host: example.org
>>
>> <#me> a <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Person> .
>>
>> HTTP/1.1 201 Created
>> Link: <card;acl>; rel=acl
>> Location: atom03
>
> i guess then what we're doing is the RDFification of HTTP, which i very
> much hope we're not doing. Atom and LDP are supposed to have open metadata
> models for their protocol data, associated content with the managed
> entries, and protocol behavior that goes beyond HTTP methods. your example
> excludes content,

It has cotent.

> does not represent the metadata that has no immediate
> mapping to HTTP headers,

it does, you can edit a linked Meta resource.

> and contains no extensions.

No need for extensions indeed, since RDF has well defined
semantics for creating extensions. Unlike Atom.

> all of these are
> essential and the value that drives both Atom, and LDP.

Anyway, I think we are getting a bit far away from the thread.