Re: MKCOL for making collections

On 01/22/2013 10:17 AM, Steve Speicher wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:03 AM, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
>> ISSUE-36: Can applications create new containers?
>>
>> We cannot make a collection by POSTing a doument on a collection, since that
>> creates a resource. We therefore would need a different HTTP Method to do this.
>>

> Why can't we do this?  A Container/Collection IS a resource.  So
> therefore POST'ing the representation of it seems like the most
> obvious way to create one.

I agree with Henry's premises: this way of creating containers should
be discussed. The reason is that this strategy forces you to look into
each RDF document that is POSTed, to search for the triples saying
"hey, by the way, I'm an LDPC!".

It's not that it's impossible, it's just very annoying in practice. So
it's at least not perfect.

Alexandre.