Re: ISSUE-37: the Graph and Links model

hi Andy,

>> Although I wouldn't call it the "general case". I would call it the
>> "unconstrained case".
>>
>> Anyway, I think that the case of arbitrary graph evolution must also
>> be server directed. After-all, it is the server that needs to approve
>> that it able to manage an arbitrarily evolving graph (not least
>> because a LDP server-side might not be built on top of a triple
>> store).
>
> Why does "on top a triple store" matter?

Put another way: if a LDP service happens to be built on top of a table model (which can't easy accommodate arbitrary data), then it shouldn't have to accept arbitrary inserts to be able to call itself LDP compliant, particularly when the application needs constrained interaction.

> In fact, it seems at odds with
> containers, server or client.

can you explain what exactly is at odds with containers ?

> If the client can PUT to a new resource, it can create new LDP-R.

Well ok, but what if the client *can't* PUT ? (because the server rejects the operation). The result is that they cannot create a LDP-R, I suppose.

Or are you saying that they always can make this create successfully ?

However, don't you think it is more efficient and useful when the server directs that interaction ?

What I am saying is that if the application requires arbitrary creation, then reflect this in the resources (with very liberal affordances in that case).

Roger