Re: Example of Atom publication using LDP

On 2/7/13 4:28 PM, Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:
> Kingsley,
>

> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 10:13 PM, Kingsley Idehen
> <kidehen@openlinksw.com <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 2/7/13 3:48 PM, Pierre-Antoine Champin wrote:
>

>         2/ ... I think that syntax is precisely why we need profiles.
>         But don't forget that RDF has *two* levels of syntax: concrete
>         syntax (turtle vs. JSON-LD vs. RDF/XML vs...), and abstract
>         syntax (graphs).
>
>     RDF is comprised of:
>
>     1. Model - model theory etc. ;
>     2. Syntax -- subject->predicate->object triples ;
>     3. Syntax Notations -- Turtle, RDF/XML, and others ;
>     4. Serialization Formats -- Turtle, RDF/XML and others.
>
>     The breakdown above should clarify what Henry means when he speaks
>     of separating model from syntax. Thus, I think your point is about
>     using profiles to loosely couple items #2-4 with item #1 .
>

> I'm not sure I would state it that way...
> My point is about using profiles to constrain level 2 while Henry is,
> I think, arguing that they can/should be used only for level 3 (not
> sure what your level 4 is, in fact).

Can also look at content-type issues as encapsulating items 3&4. I
prefer separating those items because how one represents data in the
content of a document doesn't mandate how its serialized across the wire
etc.

Item 2 is the syntax for expressing the grammar of the model.

Links:

[1] http://www.slideshare.net/kidehen/iss-1/9 -- syntax, grammar, and
semantics .
[2] http://www.slideshare.net/kidehen/iss-1/10 -- a bit about content .