Re: ldp-ISSUE-10 (Guidance around ETags): Include clarifications and guidance around ETags [Linked Data Platform core]

On 04/02/13 11:58, Henry Story wrote:
> On 4 Feb 2013, at 11:53, Steve Battle<steve.battle@sysemia.co.uk>  wrote:
>> To be clear _here_  (yes - I did raise etags in resource descriptions in
>> another context), we're recommending using weak ETags, not in resource
>> descriptions, but in the response header.
>> Can we agree that the use of weak ETags with RDF content should at least
>> be a best practice recommendation?
>
> +1 for best practice.
>
> Also while we are at it, is there a good efficient algorithm for calculating this?
>
> ( I suppose just the hash for the hash of every triples )

I'm not sure how this could deal efficiently with RDF, since there are
some details to take into account: blank nodes, depth in the subgraph,
outgoing triples only or also incoming, etc.

I've been briefly checking, and I didn't find so much out there, just a
Perl implementation by Kjetil Kjernsmo:

http://search.cpan.org/~kjetilk/RDF-LinkedData-0.56/lib/RDF/LinkedData.pm#current_etag

I'd try to outline an algorithm and an implementation in Marmotta which
could be added to the best practice document. So, Henry, maybe we can
work together on it.

Cheers,

--
Sergio Fernández