Re: Simplifying DirectContainers to SimpleContainers

On 15 Dec 2013, at 09:04, Roger Menday <roger.menday@uk.fujitsu.com> wrote:

> ... but, I don't want to introduce new concepts ('assetDocCollection', 'bugcollection') to my domain model.

So I suppose this is the case where you would have modelled your relations with the bt:hasBugReport
from a product to a BugReport, as I show in example [1.2.2] below.

In that case it seems you have to live with duplication of triples.
Your </products/swfwo> resource which defines the "/products/swfwo#v2" URI (see the URI
RFC section 3.5 http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-3.5 ) is the default resource to go
to if anyone wants to know what </products/swfwo#v2> is. That would have the relations from
product to bug report I suppose. Then if you are using the inferencing rule form
"membership triples" to ldp:contains relation you are placing the same relations
in the </products/swfwo/bugs/> as shown in [1.2.1].

Otherwise say if you did not want to place those
 { <#v1> bt:hasBugReport ?report }
relations in the </products/swfwo> document,
you would need the client to do an extra HTTP request to get the data in the LDPC.
But then you have to describe to the client why he should look "over there" to get data
that relates <#v1> to bug reports. After all, there are a lot of links to all kinds of
resources, and the client cannot know a priori where those resources could possibly be.
But is this not the bt:bugCollection relation you don't want to introduce?

> Put it another way, do you want all to re-factor all existing documents which
> use your https://code.google.com/p/baetle/ vocabulary in order to support RESTful writing ?

My point was to show that you can publish the same information as you do using the
ldp:DirectContainer using just the ldp:SimpleContainer. If that is correct then it
is worth noting.

Now any RDF publication mechanism existing currently that did not have a protocol
to create information resources, to edit them via HTTP PATCH, etc... This
is what LDP is adding.

You are then saying: there is information allready published in RDF that clients
are using, and that you want to make available with minimal change to LDP enable it.
What then needs to be worked out is which information resources in that space
stand in the ldp:contains relation.

( NOTE: the ldp:contains relation MAKES IT SO EASY TO explain what the problem to be
solved is! )

from there your tools for minimal change is to consider the ldp:container* relations
as rules that allow you to deduce from existing relations the ldp:contains relations.
( Where you may have to add ldp:contains relations explicity when this can't be made
to fit cleanly ).