Re: updating how Accept-Post works

hello.

On 2013-08-07 15:50 , "Arnaud Le Hors" <lehors@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>People in the WG aren't familiar with the way IETF works and it would
>help if you could give us specific instructions on how to show support
>and ensure the spec progresses.

sure. IETF is driven by demand, in particular for individual submissions
(i.e., not produced by an IETF working group) such as ours. therefore, a
good start would be if everybody implementing LDP could send me the
following info, so that i can add it to the "implementation status"
section of the next version:

RFC 6982: This section, if it appears, should be located just before the
"Security Considerations" section and contain, for each existing
implementation, some or all of the following:
 -  The organization responsible for the implementation, if any.
 -  The implementation's name and/or a link to a web page describing the
implementation.
 -  A brief general description.
 -  The implementation's level of maturity: research, prototype, alpha,
beta, production, widely used, etc.
 -  Coverage: which parts of the protocol specification are implemented
and which versions of the Internet-Draft were implemented.
 -  Licensing: the terms under which the implementation can be used. For
example: proprietary, royalty licensing, freely distributable with
acknowledgement (BSD style), freely distributable with requirement to
redistribute source (General Public License (GPL) style), and other
(specify).
 -  Implementation experience: any useful information the implementers
want to share with the community.
 -  Contact information: ideally a person's name and email address, but
possibly just a URL or mailing list.

i guess there's not that much to say in most cases, because the spec
itself is so small. but just mentioning that it is used in an
implementation would already be a good thing, so please send me a brief
response if you are implementing LDP.

for IETF drafts, discussions take place on various mailing lists, for our
draft the relevant list is apps-discuss.
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/apps-discuss/current/threads.html#1010
9 shows that so far we had one feedback only, and generally speaking, it
would be good if others could chime in as well.

generally speaking, when approaching the IETF application area and asking
for the draft to be considered for publication as an RFC, we should be
able to point to discussions that were held on relevant mailing lists, and
where the majority of the feedback was positive. our problem is that
nobody has exactly waited for Accept-Post, so we don't get a lot of
interest from outside of LDP. but at least those that are interested
(current implementers) should make themselves heard.

thanks and cheers,