Re: Review and Comments for Linked Data Platform FPWD

On 2012-10-30 8:45 , "Gavin Carothers" <gavin@carothers.name> wrote:
>On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 8:33 AM, Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>> Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com> wrote on 10/29/2012
>>09:58:57
>> PM:
>>>Why not POST to create the new resource, using an empty body, get the
>>> URI back "Location:"), then PUT the contents?  c.f. 303 roundtrip.
>>>Then
>>> the RDF to be stored can be created after the URI is allocated and
>>> standard toolkits can be used.
>>> This also allows you to POST the entry in the container - or POST to
>>>the
>>> container itself, c.f. ?non-member-properties.
>> The downside obviously is to require an additional roundtrip.
>Eh, use SPDY/HTTP 2.0. Designing to limit round trips when we know how
>to fix in general the speed of round trips seems foolish. The POST
>followed by a PUT is very clear. Still allows for directly POSTing
>when you don't need to know the URI in advance as well.

+1.

web architecture takes a different approach to optimize your design, and
so far it seems that most/many arguments made in favor of "let's try to
optimize end-to-end traffic on the wire" have been trumped by issues of
being in line with web architecture, so that your design can benefit from
optimizations in the underlying fabric, and becomes more easily composable.