Re: Linked Data Platform 1.0 FPWD is out!

On 10/25/12 11:34 AM, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm very pleased to announce that our first public working draft has
> now been published!
> See http://www.w3.org/TR/ldp/or
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-ldp-20121025/
>
> Thank you all for your contribution to achieving this major milestone,
> Special thanks to the editors, especially Steve Speicher who did most
> of the work so far, and Eric Prud'hommeaux who helped get the spec
> through publication.
>
> Rather than create a new mailing list for comments Eric and I decided
> to direct people to the existing public-ldp@w3.org mailing list which
> is now under used so, if you're not on it yet you probably should
> subscribe to it.
>
> Eric also published a namespace document which points to our spec:
> http://www.w3.org/ns/ldp
>
> I look forward to seeing many of you in Lyon!
> --
> Arnaud  Le Hors - Software Standards Architect - IBM Software Group
First off, good Job.

Some important comments. As per usual, my goal is clarity.

Introduction reads as follows:
This document describes the use of HTTP for accessing, updating,
creating and deleting resources from servers that expose their resources
as Linked Data. It provides some new rules as well as clarifications and
extensions of the four rules of Linked Data [LINKED-DATA]

Linked Data Rules point #3 states:
When someone looks up a URI, provide useful information, using the
standards (RDF*, SPARQL)

#3 is a very confusing point that is always misunderstood. We have an
opportunity to clarify #3.

Fundamentally, point #3 is about RDF based Linked Data documents. The
content of these documents takes the form of an RDF graph. Thus, we have:

1. RDF is the data model standard
2. RDF also a collection of markup languages for creating RDF model
based structured content
3. SPARQL is a standard that provides a mechanism for data access, data
manipulation -- it can be used to facilitate critical indirection that
associates an HTTP based entity name with an entity description document
(or descriptor).

Being able to follow an HTTP URI that denotes an entity all the way to a
document comprised of content that describes said URI's referent is very
useful. Basically, matching HTTP based entity names with descriptor (or
description) documents via indirection. The content of these documents
benefit from the implicit entity relationship semantics of the RDF data
model and the ability to explicitly or implicitly negotiate document
content format via HTTP.

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software