Re: Operations on containers

On 19/10/12 18:11, Henry Story wrote:

> On 19 Oct 2012, at 19:06, Andy Seaborne <andy.seaborne@epimorphics.com> wrote:
>
>> Henry - where's the container?
>
> In the use case below the container would have been http://data.fm/
>
> But thinking about it, one should not PUT a new resource into a container,
> because one might overwrite something existing there before. One should really
> POST it.

yes - PUT replaces.

But POST is overloaded now - it created a subsidiary resource in earlier
discussions.  How can it be used to both add an entry and creating a
subsidiary?

If it is making an entry, then I suggest the RDF is more like:

----
<http://example/container1> rdfs:member <http://other/existingURI> .
----

Adding an entry seems more fundamental.