Re: ldp-ISSUE-15 (sharing binary resources and metadata): sharing binary resources and metadata [Linked Data Platform core]

On 10/8/12 5:30 AM, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> On 07/10/12 19:44, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> On 10/7/12 1:52 PM, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/
>>> [2] http://www.w3.org/Architecture/Terms.html
>>
>> Please digest for further understanding of the problems with the
>> material you reference above re. what entities are :
>> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt .
>>
>> In IETF specs, "entities" are crystal clear and used consistently across
>> literature.
>
> RFC 3986 - obsoletes 2396
>
> [[ abstract
> A Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) is a compact sequence of
> characters that identifies an abstract or physical resource.
> ]]

Not disputing that, but "identifies" isn't the appropriate term. I think
you know (from the current RDF working group) we have settled on
"denotes" as a much clearer term.

Most important, the statement above doesn't deal with the critical issue
of realm scope when the term "resource" is used. It still entices the
reader into believing "resources" are Web realm artifacts. You can't
tell me that you read that excerpt above and then sense that  "abstract"
could imply "not of the Web".

> [[ section 1.1
> Thus, a resource
> can remain constant even when its content---the entities to
> which it currently corresponds---changes over time,
> ]]

Yes, and do you think a reader would or assume that they are a time
variant resource, which they actually are albeit not of the Web and/or
Internet which are both electronic media.

If the confusion I espouse exists, the use of "resource" is overloaded
and leading us nowhere, as many others have long concluded elsewhere.

The statement above implies that entities are equivalent to document
content. Unfortunately, that's the same old confusion. A document is
comprised of content, and said content can deliver the representation of
the description of an a entity. The aforementioned entity could be
real-world, web, or abstract.

" Files are uniformly regarded as consisting of a stream of bytes; the
system makes no assumptions as to their contents. Thus the structure of
files is controlled solely by the programs which read and write them. A
file of ASCII text, for example, consists simply of a stream of
characters delimited by the new-line characters. The notion of physical
record is fairly well submerged." -- Dennis Ritchie

A network accessible file (e.g. accessible via Web and/or Internet
network) is a resource.

>     Andy

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO