Re: ldp-ISSUE-15 (sharing binary resources and metadata): sharing binary resources and metadata [Linked Data Platform core]

On 10/4/12 6:49 PM, Wilde, Erik wrote:
> hello kingsley.
>
>> +1
> thanks!
>
>> To something along the following lines:
>>     The Web can enables *entities* to be *denoted* by any (registered)
>> URI scheme.
>>     These entities can be represented by content associated with any
>> (registered) media type.
>>     In many cases, applications establish specific (i.e., typed) relations
>>     between entities, which can either be under their control, or
>> controlled by another authority.
> i'd rather stick with the term "resource", which is well established in
> many of the core web standards.

I know you think that's the case, based on material out there. But, its
going to change. Resource is an overloaded term.

>   "entity" not so much, so while in the end
> it's just a different label for the same concept, it is one that i don't
> want to introduce.

You aren't really introducing anything, you are realigning with what
already exists in literature that precedes the Web [1][2].

>   and i am not quite sure what you think you're getting
> out of using this different label?

Clarity is always my fundamental goal, use of existing (pre Web)
terminology for the same fundamental concepts so that bridges can be
built with other communities en route to a cohesive continuum.
Disconnecting existing communities (many of which have long mastered
these concepts) via choice of terminology ultimately stifles adoption.

Links:

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entity%E2%80%93relationship_model --
Entity modelling
2. http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2012-07/msg00190.html --
a related discussion on the ontolog forum that actually reached amicable
conclusion re. this matter.

> cheers,
>
> dret.

Kingsley Idehen