Re: ldp-ISSUE-2 (BPR versioning): Do BPR versions get managed in a systematic, discoverable way? [Linked Data Platform core]

On 04/10/12 17:01, Kevin Page wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-10-04 at 16:52 +0100, Steve Battle wrote:
>> We already use entity tags to ensure that we are updating the current
>> version of a resource description. Can we extend this to allow access
>> to earlier versions.
>> e.g. GET http://example.com/myresource?etag=W/"123456789"
>
> Also, are people familiar with Memento?
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-vandesompel-memento-04
> http://mementoweb.org/
>
> This might be something else where we don't want to prescribe a
> mechanism within the ldp spec, but ought to consider compatibility and
> potential problems when working with other common/proposed solutions.
>
> cheers,
>
> Kevin.

The idea of an external map of the timeline is interesting.  It address
the need we see in our solutions.  Important use cases are "get
current", and threading versions "get previous".  An ordered BPC of
versions might work.

We find this comes up very often so a recommended design on top of core
mechanisms would assist adoption of LDP.

 Andy